Sunday, January 24, 2010

1956 Welcoming Address by Treasure Rice to Michigan Recovery Christmas Party

Our Christmas is now over. I thought I'd share with you an address Mother made to those attending the 1956 Michigan Christmas party. This was an exciting time to be on the ground floor and taking Dr. Low's work beyond Chicago. Michigan Recovery was really starting to "hum". Even though it was given in 1956 (she joined Recovery in 1947) I think her words will still inspire us today. Here is what she said:

I think it is especially appropriate that we folks in Recovery get together at this time of the year. For many of us it is a time for exchanging gifts, and I think that we have one of the most precious gifts of all to exchange -- and that is the gift of acceptance.

I could no doubt make this statement without fear of being challenged: Every one of us has felt the Stigma of our illness. Gut, you know, the shame I used to feel has largely been replaced with a real feeling of pride, because, honestly, I have found the folks in Recovery to be one of the grandest groups of people in this world. I’ve found you to be warm-hearted, sensitive and responsive – where else can you meet a more wonderful group of friends? So I’m really proud to be listed as one of us. And this is the gift we exchange – acceptance – not only of each other, but a feeling of respectability. I can remember that all my life I felt set apart, different, and there are times, even yet, when maybe I am with my own family – and suddenly again I will feel alone – set apart—different. But that is when this wonderful feeling comes welling up with in me, and I remember all of you, and I know that some where you too are having to control – and then I don’t feel alone any more – I feel that I do belong, really and that I’m not so different.

Another thing that makes me proud to be classed as a Recovery member is the fact that I think there is much courage – pound for pound – in this organization we call Recovery as you will find anywhere else in the world, and I’ll tell you why: We battle with a phantom! The thing we fight doesn’t even exist – and I’m speaking of course, of the Idea of Danger. Dr. Low says we are addicted to it, that it is an obsession with us. So we shadow-box, and live in the shadow of life – not sick enough to be put in a hospital for any length of time, and yet not well enough to take our place in life on a sustained basis. And only we who have been through it or are going through can realize how much courage it takes to overcome this foe – and only we can really know how formidable is this phantom enemy of fear that seems as real to us as if it were constructed of concrete and steel.

When it was suggested that I give this talk today, the committee asked that I give a brief resume of the year. What has happened in Michigan in Recovery this past year? I thought about it for a while and I thought, if I really wanted to make it brief it could be told in one word: Successful. Michigan has been very successful with its Recovery project this year. Many of you already know that Michigan has more paid members than any other branch. Recently another branch leader said to me, “Why is it that Michigan has been so successful? After all, people are people, wherever you go.” And I said, “maybe people are people—but no kidding—I think we have the most exceptional group of average people you will find anywhere!” [laughter] Every one of you, and many who are not here today, has been responsible for the growth and success of Recovery in Michigan. All of us have played a part in the total picture. What better time could we have than right now, however, to give credit to a group of people among us whom we call our leaders? These people have started groups I think without exception while they were still going through the discomfort of their own illness. They have borne the discomfort of discharging a group obligation at the sacrifice many times of their own personal inclination. I will ask each leader to stand and take a bow. Last night I went through this list and wanted to make a remark about each one of them, but two things prevent me from doing this: One—if I said even part of what is in my heart, we’d be here all night and tomorrow too. Second—what I have to say would only embarrass these people, because they are not looking for public endorsement.

May I ask that each leader, as he stands, instead of thinking about how he looks, or should he smile, etc. – that he silently give himself an honest endorsement for all the effort and control he has used, and all the discomforts he has borne and the spotting he has done in leading his group.

(The leaders’ list was read in its entirety and those who were present took a well-deserved bow.)

Before I finish, I have one more thing to add. Dr. Low and many others have labored to establish Recovery and to make it available to all who can use it. The literature is inexpensive and written in a simple language that most anyone can read and study. We are working hard toward starting more and more groups, so that Recovery training can be at our finger-tips, merely for the taking. But there is one factor that must necessarily be left up to each and every one of us. That is – just how much will each of us take advantage of this opportunity offered us in Recovery? Several weeks ago, I heard a story that I think illustrates this very well:

Two scientists were exploring on the Sahara Desert, when they came upon a strange pyramid that was not charted on their maps. When they went to enter the pyramid, they noticed an inscription over the doorway: He who takes of my sands will be sorry. We who does not will be sad!!” The two scientists went into the pyramid and found it to be dark inside, but they explored it as best they could. When they were ready to leave, they thought of the mysterious inscription over the entrance. The one scientist thought he would not risk taking any of the sand, but the other one curiously reached down and in the inky blackness scooped up a handful of the shifting sand on the floor of the pyramid. When they returned to their camp, one of the most dreaded events that can take place on the desert began to occur. A sandstorm raged all night, and the scientists struggled to hang onto their possessions. In the morning after the storm had subsided, they emerged from their camp. When they surveyed the vast expanse of desert before them, they saw that the pyramid had disappeared, buried in the sands for perhaps another two or three thousand years. Suddenly they remembered the peculiar inscription. The scientist who had taken the sand put his hand into his pocket and drew out his clenched fist. When he opened it, there to his amazement, glistening in the sun was a handful of DIAMONDS. Then he was sorry – sorry he hadn’t taken two handfuls. And the other scientist was sad, because he had taken none.

The sands of opportunity in Recovery lie all around us. Let’s not be content to take one handful or two handfuls, but let’s dig deep and take all we can carry away! I hope that you will have a peaceful holiday, especially within - not only now but always.

4 comments:

  1. What a joy to read this. I especially liked the mention of how much courage we in Recovery demonstrate. I think we need to endorse for that. Thank you so much Treasure for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a delightful address. And it is from a woman who said (in Selections May 1953) "I, for one, am not a gifted public speaker...." She certainly had acquired the gift by 1956.

    I like the idea of battling with a phantom who is not really there - danger. That gives me another way to think about temper, to visualize it.

    Thank you for sharing this with us.

    Would you mind if I also posted this on our Recovery Forums for people to read. I'd also like to place it in the document forum so that any group leader could visit there and get a copy to perhaps read at their community meetings.

    Again thank you.

    Joe Anglim Philadelphia PA
    Joe@lowselfhelpsystems.org

    ReplyDelete
  3. I seat here tonight and feel so touch by this..I'm Grateful for the Challange's that brought me to Recovery.I look at those that come into Recovery on there 1st visit and see there Pain.And as time replaces Time I see the sparkle in there eye,the smile and at That time I feel joy for them As I have felt the first time in my life..Thank you Treasure for sharing and feeling my heart with so much LOVE for RECOVERY and for Dr Low.And all the special people I'm come to know

    ReplyDelete
  4. Treasure, thanks so much for your blog. I'm ready it slowly, in part acts. I love the description of Recovery members as "warm-hearted, sensitive and responsive – where else can you meet a more wonderful group of friends". It's the total view of a group of people who face challenges (average challenges!) and have so much to offer their friends, families, co-workers and communities.

    ReplyDelete